Photo Credit: Pioneer Woman
OK, so I promised dump cake two ways. The first way is one of my favorite comfort foods that grandma used to make. I love it because it is warm, gooey, delicious, buttery and just completely wonderful.
Traditional Dump Cake
Here is the recipe:
1 16 oz can crushed pineapple
1 20 oz can cherry pie filling
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 to 2/3 cups chopped nuts, optional
1/2 cup butter* (2 sticks)
* I implore you to use real butter, you will thank me for it later ;)
- Lightly grease bottom of 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Dump crushed pineapple directly in baking dish and spread evenly.
- Dump cherry pie filling over top of crushed pineapple and spread evenly.
- Evenly sprinkle dry cake mix over top of cherry pie filling
- Sprinkle nuts if using them on top of cake mix
- Cut both sticks of butter into thin slices and place on top of dry cake mix covering the entire thing
- Do NOT mix
- Pop into 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour until top is golden bubbly
Now, get a fork, hide in a corner and eat right from the pan as if to have it all for yourself! (Yes, I really do. Well, I don’t really hide in a corner, I just threaten to pierce with a fork anyone who comes near me dump cake…lol)
Now, I have always enjoyed my dump cake and as brilliant as I like to think I am, I find myself wondering why I never thought to make it with chocolate cake! This Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake from Lynn is absolutely brilliant. Like a chocolate cherry coke on a fork. You will need Cherry Pie Filling, Coca Cola ( or any cola of your choice) and a chocolate cake mix to make this delight a yummy reality.
I have been on a mission to put less preservatives in my families mouths and I am wondering how this would work with home made cake mix and or home canned fruit. Stick around, I may just have to try it out and see how it goes.