OK, so a Steak Bomb from John Smith Subs is one of my favorite treats. It has gotten pretty expensive lately so I thought I would try to duplicate the taste at home. I have made a Philly Cheese Steak with sliced roast beef before, but if I was going to do that, I would just go to John Smith Subs and get my Steak Bomb.
I took inspiration for this recipe from Six Sisters Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe but I did make some of my own changes, so here goes.
Cook ground beef, onions and peppers over medium heat until beef is browned.
While the meat is browning, pre-cook your bacon and let it cool.
Not everyone in my family will eat mushrooms,
so I browned mine while the meat was cooking.
Drain and set aside when done cooking.
* If everyone you are cooking for enjoys mushrooms,
add them to the beef before cooking with the peppers and onions.
Chop pre-cooked, cooled bacon.
Return meat mixture to pan and top with chopped bacon.
Add 2 cups beef broth.
Simmer on medium low heat until only a little bit of liquid is left.
Separate meat to make a whole in the middle of the pan exposing the liquid
(I apologize for not taking a picture of this).
Add 1 tbsp corn starch and stir with whisk.
Sloppy Steak Bomb
2 lbs ground beef
2 medium onions
1 large green pepper
1 lb bacon
2 cups beef broth or stock
1 tbsp corn starch
- Cook ground beef, onions, mushrooms, and green peppers over medium heat until meat is browned.
- Drain, return to pan.
- While meat is cooking, pre-cook bacon and set aside to cool.
- Chop bacon and add to meat mixture in pan.
- Add beef broth
- Simmer over medium low heat until almost all liquid is cooked down.
- Make small hole in middle of meat to expose remaining liquid.
- Add 1 tbsp corn starch and stir with whisk.
- Place both sides of bun on cookie sheet or other oven safe pan
- Place provolone cheese on both sides of bun and place under broiler for 2-5 minutes until cheese is melted. Be careful, they will burn quickly.
- Remove buns from oven, spread mayonnaise to your liking.
- Ladle meat mixture over top of bottom bun, place top bun on and enjoy!